Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Adah

It was neither diabolical nor divine; it but shook the doors of the prison house of my disposition; and like the captives of Philippi, that which stood within ran forth. So feel I. Living in the Congo shakes open the prison house of my disposition and lets all the wicked hoodoo Adahs run forth.

To amuse my depraved Ada self during homework time I wrote down that quote from memory on a small triangular piece of paper and passed it to Leah, with the query: FROM WHAT BOOK OF THE BIBLE? Leah fancies herself Our Father's star pupil in matters Biblical. Star Pupil: Lipup Rats. Miss Rat-pup read the quote, nodding solemnly, and wrote underneath, The book of Luke. I'm not sure what verse.

Hah! I can laugh very hard without even smiling on the outside. The quote is from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, which I have read many times. I have a strong sympathy for Dr. Jekyll's dark desires and for Mr. Hyde's crooked body.

--The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver (1998)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home